Support Ukrainians in Victoria
The Association of Ukrainians in Victoria (AUV) has a head office located on Russell St in Essendon. Our organisation is a not-for-profit largely run by volunteers.
We act as representative of the many Ukrainian organisations in Victoria, such as scouting groups, cultural groups, social clubs and schooling groups.
Our Essendon premises was first purchased in the 1950s by the influx of refugees fleeing World War II and, some seventy years later, is in desperate need of an upgrade.
An improved home in Essendon for all Ukrainians
We planned to update our Ukrainian Hall at the start of 2022, but the war changed our plans. Unfortunately, at the moment we do not have enough resources to complete the repairs on our own and are turning to the Community for help.
We understand that all funds are currently being sent to help Ukraine and we are asking whoever has the means to help us complete the renovation of the Ukrainian Hall in Essendon. We want to support the refugees by providing them a safe, modern, clean and suitable community centre.
The number of newly arrived Ukrainians in Victoria is already close to 1,000 and we want to further support recently displaced Ukrainians by providing them a safe, modern, clean and fit-for-purpose community centre.
So far we have held frequent free community events for our new Ukrainian friends and the wider community, including information sessions, a clothing store, dinners, language classes, social gatherings and Ukrainian movie nights, and there are ongoing requests for holding meetings and workshops, film screenings and more.
We also assist with connecting Ukrainians to local community groups that provide assistance to refugees such as Thread Together, Early Start Kindergarten, Foundation House, AMES and many other state/federal government initiatives.
We would like to raise enough funds to start utilising our space as soon as possible. A more comfortable centre will improve our support to refugees and provide the community with a better space to meet.
The updated Ukrainian Hall would have the following features:
- Event hall – Conducting fundraising and social events to help Ukraine (charity dinners, auctions, etc.)
- Community meetings – Holding meetings for the community and newly arrived Ukrainians
- Cinema – A dedicated space where we can broadcast Ukrainian films
- Cafe and bar – This will be opened during the week and will be a meeting place for a cup of coffee for all of you. You will be able to watch your favourite sporting matches in the company of the Ukrainian community, have a light Ukrainian meal or just sit and enjoy the pleasant company of others.
We ask for you to help where you can!
What has already been done:
- The balcony upstairs has been updated to meet legal code and is in the process of being turned into a cinema, seating 100 patrons. A new curtain and rail has been installed, water damage repaired and walls re-plastered. New flooring with safety lighting is yet to be installed.
- The main hall repair. The flooring in the main hall and stage area has been sanded and polished in a lighter tone to refresh the space.
- The entrance foyer has been stripped back to its original flooring and the temporary storage room has been relocated to the former board room. The walls have been repainted and repaired and the foyer space may be used for a future café and meeting area.
Our four stages of restoration:
- Repair of the main hall
- Completion of the cinema
- Refurbishment of the entrance foyer area.
- The building of a suitable storage area for equipment.
Let’s support the Ukrainian Community in Victoria!
How you can donate:
(Click on any image to get more information)